Monday, June 21, 2010

Movie Review: Toy Story 3


Some things are just masterpieces, gifts from genius minds that for whatever reason deem us worthy to to enjoy their creations. Not only does Toy Story 3 belong in this private group, but the Toy Story trilogy belongs there as well. Usually the third film is where a franchise falters. Case in point: Spider-man, X-Men, The Godfather, The Matrix etc. One could argue that The Lord of the Rings broke this spell with Return of the King, but I would counter that the book was already written, the story laid out, so Peter Jackson did not have to worry about staying fresh while also being faithful to the preceding films. This is not a swipe at Jackson, I'm just saying that the task at hand for Toy Story 3 was different than it was for The Return of the King.

When my fiance and I walked out of the theater, we dabbed the small remnants of tears from our eyes and asked each other which Toy Story film we liked the most. I couldn't do it. The beauty of Toy Story 3 is that it makes the films seem like one saga. While all three most certainly stand on their own, the best way to watch them, obviously, is in sequential order. We grow with these characters and learn as they learn. Perhaps it helps that I was 9, 14, and 23, respectively, when the three films came out. I saw them all in theaters at different points in my life, and I was able to make a strong emotional connection to all three of them.

Perhaps the message in the third film is the most profound of the three. That what makes life worth living are the people who we live with and the connections that we make with them. Sometimes our "purpose," whatever we think it may be, can change and shift in ways that we are not ready for, but the only way to face those changes is with the people who made us who we are by our sides. Pixar is genius in doing this, bringing out deep messages in family films. They are so good at it, in fact, that it makes me wonder why they seem to be the only ones who are doing it these days.

Regardless, Toy Story 3 is the best film I've seen in a long time, and definitely the best film I've seen all year. There aren't many movies that come out where I would say drop everything and go see it, but drop everything and go see Toy Story 3.


P.S. Make sure you get there in ample time to catch Pixar's short Day & Night. It's the best short film Pixar has ever done and it may be just as brilliant as Toy Story 3 itself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you talk about the third of a sequel I am reminded that I made everyone come to the Santa Claus 3 and what a huge disappointment it was. You are such a brilliant writer...well done!!