Monday, June 28, 2010

Good Lord It's Hot

I'm a beach kid. I love the summer time. I always have, always will. This summer it feels like the heat is one for the books. I haven't been down to my hometown of Wilmington, NC to feel the how scorching it is there yet, but I will this weekend. Here in Northern Virginia it's pretty hot though. I think about 94 on average, peaking at around 100 in the dead afternoon. A lot of people complain about it, but I don't. I think it's great. I love being able to go outside in just a t-shirt and shorts.

I remember a few months ago we were digging our way out of multiple feet of snow. It was fun, sure, but after the novelty wore off the cold started to become annoying. You could only be outside for a few minutes at a time, and even then you (I) had to be so bundled up that you could barely move your joints. I'm not saying that winter doesnt have it's perks, it most certainly does. I'm just saying, to me, the perks of summer outweigh the perks of winter.

Everyone loves fall and spring. How can you not? The weather is usually in the 60s or 70s. The colors on the trees are always rather brilliant. Most people when you ask them what their favorite season is, they will say fall or winter. But there are those precious few people who love the extremes. They like to feel the sunburn on their arms or the numbness on their toes.

I definitely love the summer the most. I like the way it feels to go on a walk, sweat a bit, then walk into a nice air conditioned room. I like opening the windows, turning on a fan, and putting on some relaxing music. I like falling asleep in the sun, regretting it later that night when you are walking around with a sunburn on the back of your legs. Perhaps the best part of summer is the muggy nights where you can hear cicadas buzzing with the wind rustling through the trees. Or the waves crashing on the beach. I like being able to have the freedom of wearing flip-flops everyday.

To me summertime always takes to long to get here and never stays long enough when it is. Hopefully this one will take its time.

No comments: