Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LOST: The End

I sat down yesterday to write this blog and I couldn't do it. I spent the day in a haze: a mixture of contentness, sadness, and thought. I had never invested so much of myself in a television show before. Over the weekend my fiance, my sister (who was visiting from college), and I re-watched our favorite episodes. We talked about who our favorite characters are (throughout the weekend I think we named them all). We half-joked about how depressed we would be when the show came to an end. We threw our own little LOST party inviting friends and family who we had turned on to the show. When those fateful words "Previously on Lost" were spoken we quickly turned off the lights and focused in. After a mixture of cheers, laughter, and tears (lots of tears) the show came to an end.

That night I had trouble sleeping. I was so moved by what was on the screen that I couldnt just close my eyes and "let go". I wanted to go and find Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and thank them personally for the gift that they had given me, and my family. I wanted to find J.J. Abrams and thank him for giving those writers the chance to capture our hearts and our imaginations. It seemed as though I would never be able to get my gratitude across. Then I read Damon Lindelof's last message on Twitter: "Remember. Let Go. Move On. I will miss it more than I can ever say."

He understood. They understood. The show meant more to them than it did to us. It was their creation. They know about our gratitude, and they want to thank us as well. We all were on this journey, the actors, the writers, the viewers. It was a group effort. I'll never be able to just forget about LOST. It will be my favorite television show for as long as I live. It was a part of my life where there were so many changes. Where I grew up. My fiance and I wouldnt be the same people without the show. It helped make us who we are. So in order for me to "let go," I am going to write a letter to my favorite show. The show that helped me become who I am today.

Dear LOST,

I miss you already. Thank you so much for taking me, my family, and my friends on this incredible journey. You made us question ourselves and our ways of thinking. You taught us that noone can tell us what we cant do. You taught us that things happen for a reason. And most importantly you showed us how one of the most important parts of life are those who we share it with. I plan on seeing you again in the near future, both in little bits as well in your entirety. Don't worry, I'll finally get a HDTV, so I can watch you in your full glory.

I remember in the beginning I was hooked and that was it. You grabbed me from the start. I had no choice in the matter. You took my heart and ran with it. I was not the only one though. Millions of people around the world loved you. People wrote about you, both good things and bad. The ones that love you stuck around, and you rewarded them with a beautiful and poignant finale. No matter how many times we questioned you, you always ended up coming through.

I wonder what my kids will think of you. Will they be able to be wrapped up in your mystery as their mother and I were? I think you will find your way to touch their hearts. At least I hope so. I want them to love things like I love you. I want them to invest themselves in things the way that I do. I want them to wonder why things are, and then accept them when they get the answer (or when they dont).

Your heart laid in the characters you gave us. The people who we watched grow and change. You were about humanity in general, as we could see ourselves in your characters. You showed us our good as well as our bad, and let us know that nothing is irreversable. We can be whoever we want to be.

Last night I was cleaning up after our party doing the dishes and lietening to your music. I couldn't help but feel as though I had just come back from a close friend's funeral. The kind of friend who helped make you who you are. Please know that this is not a goodbye letter. I will be seeing you again, many times. Take this as a thank you note. Thank you for changing my life. I'll be seeing you again soon. I love you.

-David

No comments: