Thursday, May 13, 2010

"The Army 10-Miler" or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Accept My Fate as Roadkill"

So in October I will be running 10 miles around Washington DC. Yes, I just typed 10 miles and not 10 kilometers. I was bullied into it by my co-workers. If anything this will be an example of how peer-pressure does indeed lead to death.

I'm just joking, I dont think I am going to die. I started training a few weeks ago and I actually think I will be ok. As my fiance's step-father Eric said "you won't come in first, but you wont come in last either." Pretty good mantra, I think. It made me feel a bit optimistic.

The race also gives me a good reason to take Amelia out for some runs. She can't last too long out there (she just simply lies down in the middle of the sidewalk whenever she has had enough exercise, forcing me to carry her home), but I enjoy having her next to me. She smiles while she runs, which I for one have never been able to do.

I've never been able not to finish a race or not pass any kind of physical test, so I feel a bit confidant about the entire thing, even though after I run for what feels like an hour and I realize Ive barely gone over two miles and it's only been 17 minutes.

There are a few things that help me get the motivation to go farther and faster. Perhaps the biggest one would be the second guitar solo on "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. Always helps me kick it into high gear when it comes on.

Ill try my best to post updates as I progress wish me luck!

No comments: