Monday, January 4, 2010

Harry Potter, Africa, Film Clubs, And Friends

So Lia and I are going to be watching the new Harry Potter flick tonight. We got it a while ago in netflix and just havent really been able to muster up theinterest for it to put it in our dvd player--especially while were are in the midst of intense family melodrama on the first season of Brothers & Sisters. Im sure it will be interesting enough--even though I really thought the Order of the Phoenix was quite boring and repetitive. I was tempted to send it back and get something else today but I feel guilty sending a netflix back without even watching it. For some strange reason it feels as though the "starving children in Africa" saying applies here. Like there are kids in Africa who would love to watch the new Harry Potter--so you shouldn't just let an oppurtunity pass so easily. Im weird, I know.

Although one of my New Year's resolutions (I have quite a few) is to not let oppurtunities pass. For instance I've always dreamed of finding a job writing about film or music in a magazine or some sort of publication. It doesn't need to be a paid position--although that certainly would be ideal--anything will do. I think what I'm really tackling with this reesolution is laziness. I need to work out more, I need to read more, I just in general need and want to do more.

Not to say I'm not happy. I certainly am--more so than Ive ever been in my entire life. I just think I need to get involved in things more. For instance there is this film society down at E-Street Cinema in DC (my favorite movie theatre actually) where people simply watch a certain film and then discuss it afterwards. Doesn't sound like much, but I think it'd be a pretty good way to meet people.

If I could say one thing that would be a goal to go along with my "opportunities" resolution, it would be to somehow meet new friends. I love and miss my friends from home a lot. I look at the rediculous mock-music videos that they make on facebook and I laugh--but I also feel a sense of melancholy. I could easily have been part of those shenanigans. Perhaps that is the worst part about work, there is noone really my age who has the same interests as I do. Not like Wilmington did. Perhaps this is simply a part of growing up. My main New Years resolution: to be a better friend to those in Wilmington, meanwhile making new relationships here in DC. It sounds like a simple enough goal--I think I can do it.

No comments: