Saturday, January 16, 2010

The David's: 2009

So a while ago my friend Chase was telling me about how good of a year 2009 had been for movies. I kinda shrugged my shoulders and smiled while nodding my head. It was pretty good, I thought to myself, nothing spectacular. District 9, Inglourious Basterds, and Up were pretty good--but I didn't see anything on the horizon that I thought was really going to floor me.

And then I started to see them. Moon. The Cove. (500) Days of Summer. Avatar. Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker.

Each of these movies floored me with their ambition and risk-taking. Where was the Hollywood Oscar bait movies? The only musical that was in sight was Nine, and apparently that sucked. So what we were left with was original films from audacious filmmakers. 2009 really was one of the best years for film.

And with that I present "The David's". First a list of 10 movies that I felt were the best the year had to offer (in no real order)--then a few personal little recognitions.

Best Films:
Moon
The Hurt Locker
Up In The Air
Inglourious Basterds
Up
District 9
Avatar
(500) Days of Summer
The Cove
Where the Wild Things Are
Star Trek

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker

Best Actor: Sam Rockwell in Moon

Best Actress: Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress: Anna Kendrick in Up in the Air

Best Original Screenplay: Tie between The Hurt Locker and Moon

Best Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air

Best Special Effects: Avatar

Best Score: Michael Giacchino for Up

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Great write-up. I'm eager to put together my own top ten, but I still haven't seen some films (Moon and District 9, for example).

2009 has been a good year for film. I've enjoyed a lot of them, but my complaint is that I haven't really *loved* anything. I'm still waiting for one to sweep me off my feet, and I'm just not sure it will happen this year.

David Dangelico said...

Thanks!!

Id give Moon a shot, if you havent already. A pretty good answer to Avatar (which I loved) as it is a sci-fi flick with Excellent acting, writing, and direction--all for a smidge of the price Avatar cost!