Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Yesterday Afternoon...


Yesterday I blogged about my dog, Amelia and how much she meant to me. Later that day, when I went home to grab a quick bite to eat, I found something horrifying: Amelia lying in the kitchen surrounded by blood and diarrhea.

I franticly cleaned up the mess and called the nearest vet asking if there was anyway that we could come in for an emergency. They responded positively telling me to hurry because of the severity of her symptoms.

I rushed as Amelia lethargically walked out the door with me and hopped into her spot (my passenger side seat).

Five hours, countless tests and $750 later, the vets inform me that they think Amelia may have ingested a type of rat poison because her blood was not clotting. They also informed me that had I waited to bring her in, she would have bled to death because of how thin her blood had become due to the poison.

I quickly vanquished my shock at the amount of bills I had to pay. Amelia could have died. I glanced over at Lia, who had come to the vet's with me. She rubbed my hand reassuringly and told me that it didnt matter what we had to pay. That Amelia is our dog and we would have done anything to keep her safe and healthy.

Even when Amelia had epilepsy, I never thought that she might actually die from it. I spent the night cuddling her and stroking her head. Telling her, once again, "Everything is ok. Daddy is here."

Its amazing the power these creatures can have over us. Amelia is not just a canine companion. She is part of my family.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Ohmygosh! How scary! I am so glad to hear that Amelia is okay. One of our dogs had to spend the night at the vet because of pancreatitis, and I was just beside myself.

Amelia is a lovely name for a dog!

Unknown said...

Such a fright...Amelia is precious. Is she a border collie? She looks just like my youngest (Patsy). I never refer to them as d-o-g-s...they are our family. Hoping Amelia is well soon!

David Dangelico said...

Thank you both so much for your thoughts!

Amelia is just a mix...one vet said she was a lab dalmation mix...so I've always just stuck with that!

Erin Seabolt Bond said...

Yikes! So scary! I'm glad you got her to the vet in time.

(At first, when I saw the other Erin's comment, I thought--have I already responded to this??? LOL.)

David Dangelico said...

Ha! Funny thing is I initially thought it was you too!!