Tuesday, October 26, 2010

5-10-15-20

One of my favorite articles on the ever-pretentious Pitchforkmedia.com is th "5-10-15-20" features where they have artists write a little blurb about music that they were into when they were ages 5, 10, 15, and 20. I always think it's interesting and I try to find out whether the person is lying or not. If there are no embarrassing album choices--then the person is obviously lying. Anyways, I thought it would be fun to do it for myself so here we go...

Age 5: The Beach Boys- Greatest Hits

Probably the first CD I was ever given as a kid. I'm not really sure why my parents gave the record to me as I realized when I got older that neither of them were that into the beach boys. I guess they just figured that because I lived at the beach it would be a good thing to bring me up on the Beach Boys. Who knows? Regardless it was a pretty good choice. Also, I may be lying about my age on this one, it's simply the first CD I remember actually having. But it's my blog, So I make up the rules so I say it counts. Also, when I have a five-year-old I'm gonna make sure he or she's able to sing both Beach Boys and The Clash--or I'm not letting him or her go to kindergarten.

Age 10: David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

This is on here for one specific reason. We used to take yearly trips to visit my Dad's family in Pittsburgh, PA. From Wilmington, NC that's about a 8 hour trip. My Dad used to have this zip-locked box of CDs that he would bring to listen to on the trip. We would listen to this CD at LEAST three or four times each way. Also, an honorable mention goes to Welcome to My Nightmare by Alice Cooper for the same reason. My Dad never really sheltered me from music--I owe him a lot for that.

Age 15: Dashboard Confessional- The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most

What, you thought I was going to lie about an actual album on here? Everyone has that guilty pleasure album, the one that "got you through those painful blah blah blah." I'm not gonna lie, I jammed to this CD. My parents and siblings cringed, I just turned up the dial. Now I look back and laugh (and shake my head). Good (hilarious) times. But I will admit, these tunes were MILES ahead of what is spewing out of speakers these days. I mean Owl City? Please. At least Dashboard was honest. Even if it was embarrassingly so.

Age 20: The Hold Steady- Boys and Girls In America

Lots of great stuff came out in 2006, TV on the Radio, Band of Horses, Yo La Tengo etc. But this cd was the one that was on constant rotation in my car. What can I say? I was in the throws of college, having a blast, finding out who I was going to be, and of course, meeting the woman I would spend the rest of my life with. Boys and Girls in America always reminds me of my wife and those early days when we were getting to know each other. We would go to rock concerts 3 hours away on weeknights, make eachother mix CDs, and stay up way to late watching movies. Little did we know four years later we would be here.

*Also, I'd like to note that this was the CD I listened to on the way to my wedding. I told my best-friend Kyle to pick whatever he wanted and this was what he chose. Coincidence?

Next year I'll be turning 25 (!!!) which is crazy for me to even think, let alone type. Music has and will always have a pretty big impact on my life. I can't wait to see what kind of impact it has on me in the future. I can only imagine it will be comparable to my past.

I can only hope.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this David you are such a REAL cool person I love ya!!!

Unknown said...

I loved this David you are such a REAL cool person I love ya!!!