Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Must Love Dogs


This morning Amelia had an accident all over the kitchen floor. It was awful, and not very good timing either as Lia and I decided to sleep in a little later than usual. As we held our breath and cleaned up the mess, Amelia walked over to her chair and hopped in. She curled herself up and put her little head down on top of her paws as she watched her Mommy and Daddy grumble and work. She knew that we were dissappointed in her.

I walked over once we finished and scratched her on her head. Her droopy eyes looking up at me like a child preparing for a scolding.

"It's okay sweetheart," I said as I leaned in to give her a kiss. "It was only an accident and Daddy still loves you."

I named Amelia after the french film Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain or Amelie. I didnt want to be cheesy and make it a completely direct connection so I altered the name just a bit. In the film the main character, Amelie, dedicates her life to bringing small bits of joy to others in different ways. I bought Amelia in the wake of a rough break-up, so naturally I was a bit in the dumps. When it came to naming her it was the first thing to come to my mind. I knew I would be relying on this little black-and-white pup to cheer me up as I knew that more rocky roads were ahead.

Of course I was right on both accounts. I ended up going through rough patches in school, I made bad decisions, and decided to change up my life--pushing the people who I thought were friends out of my perimeter. It was something that needed to be done because I was not functioning well in the group I had created.

The one thing I didn't expect was how lonely my decisions would make me.

Days were speant going to school, coming home, walking Amelia on endless walks, going into work, and then studying or going to sleep. Human connection was kept at a minimum.

The only thing that never dissappointed me was Amelia. She was always there, at the foot of my bed, eager top be played with or talked to.

Perhaps it is no wonder if you ask my fiance, Lia, what one of the first things she liked about me was my dog. In fact one of the first times Lia and I ever "bonded" was when Amelia was sick and we both sat with her stroking her head. Nothing is more heart-breaking than a dog who doesnt know what is happening to them. Amelia has idiosymatic-epilepsy, which means that she can have seizures at any time and anything can trigger it. Once, Amelia had one of her fits whenever Lia was over at my apartment. We looked over and rushed to her side. Lia sat and watched as I poured over my girl calming her, and whispering "It's ok, Daddy is here."

The results went something like this: Lia fell in love with my dog, and in turn fell in love with me.

I owe a lot of things to my dog. She was there for me when I felt like I had noone. She nuzzled her head into my hand (something she still does to this day) just when I needed it. She helped me find the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. Man's best friend seems like an understatement.

1 comment:

Lia Dee said...

I must remember to always thank Amelia for my life, future marriage and happiness. I'll repeat this over and over every time I have to clean up her... Haha just kidding. Love you!